Image Map Image Map

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Tether (Many-Worlds 2) by Anna Jarzab ARC Review (SPOILER ALERT)


Tether by Anna Jarzab
Paperback, 305 pages. 
Published by Delacorte Press
Expected Publication Date: March 10, 2015
Rating: 2.5/5 Stars

Synopsis: Everything repeats.

Sasha expected things to go back to normal once she got back on Earth. But now that she knows parallel worlds are real, and that an alternate version of herself exists in a world called Aurora, her old life no longer seems to make sense . . . and her heart breaks daily for Thomas, the boy she left behind. Troubled by mysterious, often terrifying visions and the echoes of a self she was just beginning to discover, Sasha makes the difficult decision to journey once more through the tandem.

Thomas is waiting for her on the other side, and so is strange, otherworldly Selene, Sasha’s analog from a third universe. Sasha, Selene, and their other analog, Juliana, have a joint destiny, and a new remarkable power, one that could mean salvation for Selene’s dying planet. With Thomas’s help, Sasha and Selene search for the missing Juliana. But even if they can locate her, is Sasha willing to turn her back on love to pursue a fate she’s not sure she believes in?

Tether is suffering from second book slump. I liked it but I can't say that I'm head-over-heels for it. The beginning starts out strong but somewhere around the middle I became bored and had to push myself to finish it. One of the most confusing things is that it is written from four different POVs. That's right, you heard me. Four. I've seen the multiple perspectives work before like in The Song of Ice and Fire series, but not in this case. All of the voices sound too similar and I found myself confusing Thomas and Sasha at times. All of the problems I had with the first novel continued on into this book and became worse. All in all, I don't regret reading it but I can't say that I'm in love either.

You guys can check out my review to Tandem here.

Strengths/Likes:

1) I still think Sasha is a really strong heroine. I find her to be very mature and strong. She still makes good decisions and analyzes situations without letting her judgement become to clouded by her own personal attachment to Thomas.

2) There was some really beautiful scenes written at the very end of the book with Thomas and Sasha. It's these scenes that make me want to push on to the third book.

Weaknesses/Dislikes:

1) With a new analog comes a new plot and it really threw me off. The entrance of Selene really took the focus off Juliana and Thomas, who have their own separate messes that are going on, along with what's happening with Sasha's new otherworldly analog. If this was a series instead of a trilogy, I would be on board but as far as I know it's not. It's because of that that I think that this new plot line with Selene takes the attention away from the main characters that we fell in love with in Tandem. 

2) I can't say that I'm as attached to Sasha and Thomas in this book. Their relationship feels wishy-washy. The couple goes through a bit of a rough patch because they are trying to figure out how to make their relationship work despite the fact that they are from completely different worlds. Instead of it being sad, it's annoying. Thomas randomly pushes Sasha away because he can't focus when he's thinking about her, so he gives her the brush off and starts acting rude without explaining himself--and well I think that's a real dickhead move.

Another thing that really messed me up about their relationship is how Thomas kept having problems reminding himself that Juliana and Selene were not Sasha. I get it, they look exactly alike but somehow it made me feel as if he could have easily been with any one of the three. Which, just further diminishes Thomas and Sasha's relationship.

3) I think Callum and Juliana's relationship is a joke. The reader doesn't get to learn about how they started falling for each other. We are told that they spent time in adjoining prison cells for a while but we don't get to see their relationship develop. After reading about Callum and Sasha in Tandem, it was really hard for me to take his and Juliana's relationship seriously.

4) I can't stand Juliana. Some of you may have known this from my Moronic Monday post about her. I get that she is supposed to be a sympathetic character who's suffering from all of the pressure and responsibility of a life she never wanted but no matter how much I try I can't make myself like or feel bad for her.

5) There are so many new characters, mostly KES agents, and I just don't care. I can barely keep track of who is who and even though some of them are funny I'm not given enough information or development to care about them.

Favorite Quotes/Moments: 

1) "Honestly, Sasha, I don't care what they want. They're my friends and colleagues. I like them, and I respect them, but I'm on your side. Yours. No one else's. I'm here to protect you. I'm here to help you. "

2) "Wow, you do look good without a shirt on," I said, doing my best to keep my voice steady, surprised I could even speak.

He walked toward me until we were separated only by inches. "So what you're saying is, you're not interested in the glorious history of this very important landmark?"

"Yeah," I said, grabbing both ends of his towel and using it to pull him forward. "Sorry, but I'm really not."

No comments:

Post a Comment