Image Map Image Map

Tuesday, February 10, 2015

One of the Guys by Lisa Aldin ARC Review (light spoilers)


3.5/5 Stars
Details of the book
ebook, 320 pages (according to Goodreads)
Published by Spencer Hill Contemporary
Publication Date: February 10, 2015
Where to buy yours: Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Book Depository | BAM

A simple, feel-good, coming of age story. Main chick is a tomboy, all her friends are guys, she's in love with one of them. It's not unique but it's cute. It's not overly cheesy (it does have some cheese but that's not always a bad thing, right?) A good Sunday read while you're stuck inside when the weather is frigid. Call me a sucker for corny but I like what I like.

Strengths/Likes:

1) Even though I find her a bit on the disgusting side, I really like the main character. She's not ashamed of who she is and even as she changes. She doesn't give up her morals or does a complete personality switch, she develops.

2) The main couple doesn't change their life plans to be together. They both still go to the colleges they want to.

3) All the friendships in this book are sweet. Even when they are being asses to each other, you can feel that they care for one another.

Weaknesses/Dislikes:

1) The kissing in the rain thing. I'm not sure exactly how this is romantic. Is it really just, "I can't hold it in any longer so even though we're both freezing our asses off and soaked to the bone we must make-out here and now!"

2) There should have been more moments that captured the main couple's relationship.

Favorite Quotes/Moments:

1) I'm about halfway through The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (the original) when there's a knock on my door. I'm twisted up in my comforter, lying in the fetal position at the foot of my bed, watching the small screen on the floor with vague interest.

"Can't you tell I'm sulking in here?" I shout. The door opens and a slit of light creeps into the room. I hiss like a vampire. "Augh! No light!"

The shoes that step in are a pair I recognize but hadn't expected to see. Two dirt-smudged sneakers decorated with an ink-drawing of a cartoonishlooking Champ. The right sneaker has Champ's body and tail, the left his smiling head and cute eyes. When I sit up, my tangled hair falls over my face.

Loch closes the door, bathing the room again in a dull glow that matches my current outlook on life. "How dare you have a horror-fest without me," he says.

I cover my mouth with the blanket to hide my smile.

2) "The only indication that she intended to be a feline for Halloween lies in the set of black furry ears on top of her head. The remaining parts of her cat costume consist of a strapless black dress, fishnet stockings, and black knee-high boots.

Tom Brady lies in the middle of my bed, watching her with disdain. I think he's insulted. He would never wear knee-high boots."

3) On the way up the stairs, we ruin into Brian. "Whoa," he says, waving his hands in surrender. "Watch out. Teenage girls on the loose."

I hate it when he says stuff like that. Like being a teenager and being a girl automatically labels me crazy, insane, and dangerous.

4) "I'm in love with my best friend. I'm in love with Micah Garry. SHIT."

No comments:

Post a Comment